The new GSE Courses have now launched.
Access the courses
Civil servants can access the courses using these links:
Crown, public or civil servants without access to Civil Service Learning
If you do not have access to Civil Service Learning, please complete our short GSE Courses FutureLearn Sign Up form, using your work email address, and we will send you enrolment details within three working days.
About the courses
GSE supports the wider government ambition to increase scientific literacy across government. These two courses are delivered in an interactive, online format.
The two courses are:
- Understanding and Accessing Science and Engineering Advice which empowers government officials in using science and engineering advice in their work.
- Communicating Science and Engineering Advice which supports those in technical roles to effectively communicate science and engineering advice to a variety of audiences.
Both courses use a variety of learning techniques and present activities in the form of:
- Videos and testimonies from people working in science, engineering and policy roles
- Interactive activities
- Knowledge checks
- Reflections to help you improve your self-development and transfer learning through to your day-to-day role
- Case studies from teams across government
You can also use our Action Learning sign up form to connect with others who have completed one of the courses.
The courses are open to all civil, public and crown servants. If you are not yet a GSE profession member you can use the GSE Sign Up form to become a member and find out more about the range of support that we offer.
What do people think so far?
"A fantastic suite of tools that will really help further bring together scientists from across Government. " - UKHSA
"The course is really helpful in highlighting the key points for consideration. As a scientist who writes reports for non-technical audiences on a regular basis, I am going to recommend this to my whole team. The references are also helpful if further detail is required!" - MOD
"Great tool for non-GSE members/new starters to get a better understanding of processes in Government." - DEFRA
Not sure if the courses are for you? Access recordings of one of our webinars where we covered course aims, content, functionality and much more. You do not need to watch the webinars ahead of completing the courses, but the webinars may help you to know which course is best for you. You can watch the webinars on Knowledge Hub using the links below.
- Introduction to new Government Science and Engineering Courses for all
- Introduction to the new GSE Understanding and Accessing Science and Engineering Advice course
- Introduction to the new GSE Communicating Science and Engineering course
Transcripts are also available for each of these.
The courses in detail
Understanding and Accessing Science and Engineering Advice
Science and engineering can be found in almost every area of policy. The course is for civil, crown and public servants working in non-technical roles such as policy and decision making. No prior science and engineering knowledge is required. The course will empower you to use and access science and engineering advice in your work. The course is split into three one-hour modules that can be completed at a time that suits you. We recommend you complete them over a three-week period to allow time to reflect on your learning.
The course covers:
- The importance of science and engineering in government and how leaders use science and engineering advice to shape the nation’s future
- How to access science and engineering advice
- How science and engineering interfaces with policy and introduce the key principles which underpin science and engineering advice
- Introduces a selection of specific science and engineering areas important for government. (e.g. Futures, systems thinking, behavioural science)
- Explore the stakeholders involved in engaging with science and engineering advice
Communicating Science and Engineering Advice
This course is for civil, public and crown servants who communicate science and engineering advice to non-technical audiences. It provides you with the confidence to effectively communicate science and engineering advice to a range of audiences. The course is split into two one-hour modules that can be completed at a time that suits you. We recommend you complete them over a two-week period to allow time to reflect on your learning.
The course covers:
- Importance of communicating science and engineering advice in government
- Communication principles and methods needed to effectively communicate science and engineering advice to a range of audiences
- How to overcome challenges in communicating science and engineering advice
- Effective methods of data visualisation
How you can promote the courses
Get in touch with us through firstname.lastname@example.org with details of your organisation or network if you would like:
- A comms pack, including e-leaflets to share in your organisation or network. These are also available through Knowledge Hub.
- To explore any other ways to promote the courses
To champion GSE Profession learning and development more broadly, why not think about becoming a GSE L&D Champion? We’d love to hear from you, and you can contact us through email@example.com.
Not already part of the Government Science and Engineering (GSE) Profession? Use the GSE Sign Up form to learn more!