The Government Science & Engineering (GSE) Profession is hosting a hybrid conference on Monday 9 May. Headed up by Sir Patrick Vallance, the GSE Profession is an active group of people with one goal in common: to give back to the communities they serve by weaving science and engineering into government. Whether you are a scientist/engineer, or just interested in these areas – the profession is inclusive of all backgrounds and abilities.
Scientists and engineers play an essential role in improving the quality of government decisions. From ensuring that scientific evidence strengthens policy, to effectively communicating advice, which has been highlighted throughout the COVID-19 pandemic. The conference will serve as a way to showcase and celebrate the breadth of work that is taking place in science & engineering across government, from delivering solutions to large-scale challenges such as climate change, to work in exciting areas such as Artificial Intelligence. The conference also serves as a unique opportunity for science & engineering policy professionals to connect with other professionals.
Civil Servants are encouraged to attend to experience the following:
- Learn about the breadth of science & engineering work taking place across government and how this could relate to your own work
- Network with other science & engineering professionals across Government, at all grades, departments, specialisms and roles
- Understand what tools and products are available to GSE members: from tracking skills, to apprenticeships, to talent programmes and memberships
- Share learnings from across government on topics such as communicating your science, or embedding your scientific analysis into decision making
- Celebrate and be a part of a growing and supportive community
The detailed agenda is available here, but the overview is as follows:
10:30 – Keynote speech from Sir Patrick Vallance
Session One: 11:45-12:45
Breakout Room One: Deep Dive into Sustainable Cities
Breakout Room Two: The GSE Offer: Diversity & Inclusion / The GSE Offer: Learning & Development
Breakout Room Three: Achieving Impact from Science & Engineering
Session Two: 13:45-14:15
Breakout Room One: Science & Engineering: Career Paths in Government
Breakout Room Two: The GSE Offer: Leadership & Inspiring Talent
Breakout Room Three: Women in STEM
Session Three: 14:40-15:10
Breakout Room One: Advancements in AI: What does this mean for government?
Breakout Room Two: The GSE Offer: Expertise & Interchange
Breakout Room Three: Engineering in Policy
15:30 – Close and awards ceremony for the top voted posters