Are you in a role that requires a high level of science or engineering training in a specific area? Do you use this deep specialist knowledge and experience daily?
If so, then we need your skills and experience as we develop a package of learning and development offers for our GSE Deep Specialists. We require your views on what Deep Specialists need to develop their careers.
Email email@example.com to join other members in a Deep Specialist Learning and Development forum starting in November 2023.
Deep Specialist Learning and Development opportunities
We know some Deep Specialists wish to develop their technical skills, and some wish to develop leadership skills outside of their specialism, or perhaps a mixture of both. Whilst we develop the L&D package, we’ll be tagging relevant blogs as ‘deep specialist’ so you can easily find existing relevant learning and development opportunities.
Here are some highlights:
- GSE Career Framework – use this alongside our Skills Assessment Tool to assess your skills and experience against the GSE technical skills and identify areas for development. The framework also features Career Profiles of other Deep Specialists.
- GSE Professional Recognition Offer – provides bespoke support, including mentoring, to become professionally recognised with a professional organisation relevant to your specialism.
- Communicating Science and Engineering Advice e-learning – provides an opportunity to reflect on, and develop, how you communicate technical information with ministers and policymakers.
- GSE Learning Signpost Hub – lists introductory learning on core science and engineering topics and skills, such as systems thinking, futures and foresights and intellectual property training.
- GSE Leadership Values – provides a framework of the important values and standards for leaders in science and engineering.
- GSE Empowering Leadership Mentoring – this theme-based mentoring programme focusses on self-awareness and understanding a personal frame of reference to develop empowering leadership across the GSE Profession. It launches twice a year. Look out for registration and mentor recruitment announcements in our GSE Newsletter.
- Application support for Futures Leaders and Senior Leaders Schemes – contact firstname.lastname@example.org to access this support.
- GSE Coaching Offer – the GSE profession supports members to overcome their career development barriers by arranging suitable internal/external professional coaches as needed. Please contact email@example.com for more information.
- Stem Futures – a growing partnership of organisations across industry, academia, and the public sector which provides opportunities to exchange and promote STEM knowledge, including shadowing, mentoring, placements and secondments. To access this programme, individuals must belong to a partner organisation and their work should align with the STEM Futures Technical Hubs. Representatives within Partner organisations will communicate opportunities that arise. If your organisation is interested in joining the scheme, please contact STEMFutures@go-science.gov.uk.