The Government Science and Engineering (GSE) Profession is proud to launch the beginning of their new Recognition offer. This offer will provide GSE members with bespoke support to become professionally registered with an institution that best aligns with their professional expertise. As part of this offer, the GSE Profession is providing better access to partner professional institutions and bodies, support with the application process, and advice on getting departmental funding where possible.
In the 2021 GSE Survey, 80% of members outlined they wanted more information on being chartered or professionally registered. This Recognition offer will help provide that information and help GSE members gain all the benefits of being professionally registered. Such benefits include career progression, external recognition of your professional skills, and access to external opportunities such as professional networks, events and training workshops.
Initially, the GSE Profession will be launching this programme with the professional bodies and institutions that cover most of our members’ specialisms. The initial launch partners include: the Institute of Physics (IoP), the Royal Society of Chemistry (RSC), the Royal Society of Biology (RSB), the Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE), the British Computer Society (BCS), the Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET), the Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE), and the Institution of Chemical Engineers (IChemE).
The Profession plans to expand this offer in the future to include other professional bodies aligned with a wider range of our members. If you have close links to an institution and think we should be partnered with them – email firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know.
To learn more about this exciting new offering, and to fully understand our offer of support, we would like to invite all members to our introduction seminar on Monday, 13th September 12:30 – 13:00, email email@example.com to register your interest.
There will be more events with our launch partners throughout the week. We encourage you to attend the partner institution events that most appeal to you to hear first-hand what they can offer you. Further details have been provided in the Events section below.
GSE Profession Recognition Week Events
- Monday 13th September @ 12:30-13:00 - The GSE Profession is hosting an online introduction seminar on the benefits and processes of becoming registered with a professional body or institution. Register for the event here.
- Tuesday 14th September @ 12.30-13.15: The Institute of Physics (IoP), Royal Society of Chemistry (RSC) and Royal Society of Biology (RSB) are hosting a joint online seminar to provide you with detailed information about each institution, what they can offer you, and how you apply. Register for the event here.
- Wednesday 15th September @ 10:00-11:00: The Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE) are running a session to provide you with detailed information about their institution, a chance to ask any questions, the different ways you can register with IMechE, as well as eligibility requirements. To attend please email the GSE Profession.
- Wednesday 15th September@ 11.30 – 12.30: The British Computer Society (BCS) will be letting GSE members know the benefits, tools, and services of BCS membership through an online presentation. This will cover what BSC do, what membership entails, and how to achieve professional standards. To attend please email the GSE Profession.
- Thursday 16th September @ 10:00: The Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET) online webinar will tell you about the benefits of IET membership and their profession registration, including what unique support GSE members will receive with their applications. Register for the event here.
- Monday 20th September @ 12:00-13:00: The Institution of Chemical Engineers (IChemE) are running an introductory session where they will cover the process of becoming a professionally registered engineer with IChemE. To attend please email the GSE Profession.
Sign up to the GSE blog to receive an email when a new blog is published and keep up to date with the work of the GSE profession.