As part of the Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council’s (BBSRC) COP26 preparations we have a series of webinars on specific disciplines, and I am preparing one in the soils space to be held on the 9th September at 1500-1700 (GMT+1). Titled The Future of Soil Science, Climate Change and Agriculture, a range of UK and international speakers will be leading discussions about the future of soil research and innovation, celebrating previous research success and debating where the future of this field should go. A substantial focus of the event will be determining the highest priority challenges and potential solutions to them, including how research may best fit into the wider landscape from policy to practitioners. A wide audience is anticipated, including researchers, farmers, policymakers and broader stakeholders.
The confirmed list of speakers is:
- Angela Karp, Director of Rothamsted Research (Chair)
- Ronald Vargas, Secretary of the Global Soil Partnership (hosted by the UN Food and Agriculture Organisation)
- Gideon Henderson, Chief Scientific Advisor, DEFRA
- Diana Wall, Colorado State University and Global Soil Biodiversity Institute
- Chris Collins, University of Reading
- Jonathan Scurlock, National Farmers’ Union
- John Crawford, University of Glasgow
Further information including the registration link is here.