Defence Science and Technology – Strategic Policy Adviser - 168416
Defence Science and Technology (DST) supports MOD Chief Scientific Adviser (CSA) as the overall strategic leader for the Defence S&T enterprise. DST-Policy supports the CSA by crafting Defence and cross-Government policy and strategy, coordinating international research collaboration and ensuring we have the policies and structures required to use new technologies to the best effect. The team has grown considerably in recent years and we are now expanding the Strategic Policy Team, responsible for working across Whitehall to influence national S&T priorities on cross-cutting and complex issues, with a particular focus on Emerging and Disruptive Technologies.
This is a challenging and rewarding role that asks the job holder to integrate strategic and technological perspectives, think deeply about how to achieve influence and empower others, build networks to define and deliver a far-reaching programme of work at pace, and communicate effectively with a broad range of collaborators.
The successful candidate will:
- Represent Defence S&T in the development of the new cross-Government ‘S&T Advantage’ Strategy, working closely with the MOD Strategy Directorate, BEIS and the new Office of S&T Strategy.
- Support the Defence Secretary and CSA in shaping the agenda and activities of the PM-chaired National S&T Council (NSTC), and collaborate across both Whitehall and MOD to ensure the best outcomes for Defence. The NSTC is a key forum, sitting alongside National Security Council structures, with a remit to secure the UK’s status as an S&T Superpower, while wielding this power (alongside other levers) in pursuit of wider national strategic objectives.
- Develop clear, long-term positions for CSA and DST across the many strategic initiatives and Boards inside Defence where S&T has a meaningful role to play, such as the Defence Technology and Innovation Board. Help ensure that S&T opportunities, implications and choices are understood by key stakeholders across the Department and that this knowledge is optimally used to advise the design and implementation of initiatives to accelerate the modernisation and transformation of the UK Armed Forces.
- Design and deliver policies and strategies to ensure that critical Emerging and Disruptive Technologies are understood, developed and protected; enabling Defence to make full use of them in the future, encouraging close collaboration with industry and academia and supporting engagement with international partners.
- Support, influence and challenge cross-Government initiatives on Emerging and Disruptive Technologies, in line with MOD’s objectives.
To find out more, or apply for this job, visit the advert directly.