This is a key role within the Strategy and Analysis Team. We are seeking an enthusiastic and passionate Senior Data Analyst to lead and develop systems for monitoring and analysing data to identify areas of concern around compliance or the effectiveness of environmental law.
This will include engagement with a wide range of public authorities and NGOs on environmental data.
The role will also support ESS with its own performance monitoring.
You will work in an interdisciplinary evidence team comprising colleagues with a range of backgrounds including legal, regulation enforcement, research, scientists and policy specialists.
You will need to be able to develop analytical plans, engage senior colleagues and stakeholders, access, manage and analyse data, and clearly communicate key insights to influence the direction of ESS’ work. Your work will be guided be environmental priorities set out in ESS’ final strategic plan, to be published in the Autumn.
The postholder will be working closely with other statisticians in Scottish Government and its Agencies and will be expected to quickly become the informed analyst on environmental standards.
Key duties and responsibilities will include:
- Lead specific programmes of monitoring and analysis of environmental statistics using a wide range of existing evidence and data sources as part of a programme of analytical priorities agreed by the ESS Board.
- Undertake policy facing statistics work, including ad hoc analysis and interpretation of Scottish environment data, independent analysis of progress towards the Scottish Environment Strategy objectives and targets and preparing briefing for senior officials and the ESS Chairman and Board.
- Summarise and present findings from key information sources in a user-friendly and engaging manner (including graphics and data visualisations) to the Senior Management Team and Board of ESS to identify areas of concern around compliance or effectiveness of environmental law and to support ESS investigations into these. Disseminate findings as appropriate to a wide range of stakeholders and encourage their wider use.
- Line management of a B2 / Fast Stream Assistant Statistician / Data Analyst. Possible additional ad-hoc line management of interns or matrix management within the team as things develop.
- Lead on quality assurance and data management and embed these good analytical practices across the organisation.
- Work closely with other analysts and experts in ESS to deliver cross-cutting evidence projects which offer insights into environmental compliance and effectiveness issues.
- Build effective relationships with analysts and statisticians in public authorities within ESS’ remit to ensure that ESS is abreast of the latest data and evidence.
- Provide analysis of ESS’ own performance against agreed key performance indicators.
If you would like to find out more, visit the job advert here.