We are GCHQ, we unlock the complex world of communications to make a real difference to the safety of the nation. We work closely with our partners in the intelligence community to safeguard Britain’s people, interests, and businesses from threats such as serious organised crime, people and drugs trafficking, terrorism, and cyber-attacks.
We offer a strong work-life balance & benefits, training and certifications and are remote-working friendly. Our culture is centred on embracing a growth mindset, equality and encouraging teams and leaders to bring their best each day.
You’ll have a lot of freedom; you’ll work closely with colleagues, and we’ll trust you to decide the best way to get things done; whether something requires high quality or a quick turnaround; how best to organise yourselves as part of a group and how best to meet the needs of the mission.
We would expect there to be a mix of hybrid working and office work but not solely one versus the other, dependant on mission needs.
Above all there is a strong purpose to your work as a Software Solutions Architect for GCHQ, you’ll be central to our work to keep the country safe.
A typical day in the role could involve:
• Leading the architecture & design of technical solutions (products and services) to meet user needs and align with GCHQ technical strategy and standards
• Drive resolution of technical debt, to reduce the ongoing cost of GCHQ IT services
• Develop product roadmaps and represent product designs at governance forums
• Influencing tech adoption and direction beyond your local team
• Working with customers - both technical & non-technical to help translate desired business outcomes into tangible system requirements – functional & non-functional
• Contributing to larger-scale projects to deploy into different environments like on-prem and Cloud
• Contributing to, and influencing the wider engineering & architect community
• Identifying new & changing engineering practices to ensure our design approach is continually evolving
• Seeking out opportunities to continually learn & develop both yourself and others - this could be via online subscriptions, books, courses, mentoring, spending time with other teams
We value your software engineering, architect & design mindset, tenacity, and perseverance with problems that seem unsolvable. You may be an experienced Senior/Lead Software Engineer, who has a passion for building innovative & creative products, often leading the architectural design decision making. Or you may be an experienced solutions architect, looking to contribute your vast experience to real-life GCHQ specific problems, making a difference to the security & wellbeing of the country.
You’ll often be working with agile software delivery teams, your knowledge and skill across all disciplines of software architecture will be important to your new team.
This isn’t an ordinary solutions architect job; you’ll often be required to be creative and innovative to solve problems with no precedent in other industries.
For more information including full job description and how to apply, please click here
Closing Date - 23:00 on Monday 21st November 2022