If you are keen to gain experience of the National Security and science advice landscapes in HMG, then this is the perfect opportunity for you (no prior experience required)! We’d be very happy to discuss security clearance requirements - you do not need Developed Vetting (DV) to apply.
The Government Office for Science is a fantastic and famously friendly place to work. We have a very strong culture of valuing diversity and championing inclusion in our workplace and in the work that we do. We have several active and thriving D&I networks to get involved with. We welcome all applicants and are excited to hear from you.
- Work on the continuous improvement of SAGE, ensuring it can be activated as required for any crisis at short notice, that the Government Chief Scientific Advisor is supported as chair of SAGE and that advice delivered is accessible to those who need it.
- Ensure lessons from previous SAGE activations (including Covid-19) and exercises are embedded into our policies and processes, thinking innovatively to identify novel solutions to ensure SAGE is fit for the future;
- Be responsible for monitoring risks that may require a SAGE (examples include environmental hazards, emerging health risks, severe space weather);
- Build and maintain strong relationships with science and operational stakeholders across Government who are responsible for national risks;
- Harness those relationships and provide support and challenge to stakeholders in accessing the scientific expertise and capabilities they need to deliver against national security and resilience objectives.
For more information, including the full job description and how to apply, please see Civil Service Jobs webpage here. If you have any questions, please reach out to hiring managers Harriet Peel and Amy Fairchild (firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com) for an informal chat.
Apply before 11:55 pm on Monday 29 January 2024